Perhaps you are wondering if there is any possibility of stumbling into money that you have no idea that you actually owned. There is a way you can find out if you have CT unclaimed money and this cash that you don’t necessarily have to earn.

This is not easy money, however. The state of Connecticut, like any other state in the country, has a law that mandates companies and financial groups to turn over any unclaimed property to the government if they have not been claimed within the past couple of years. Whether it is a dormant checking account, a dividend that was returned to the sender, tax returns, lottery winnings or royalty payments and security deposits, the companies are bound by the law to give to the Division of Unclaimed Property any CT unclaimed money they have been holding for more than a period of 2 years.

There are chances wherein people have no idea that they have received any dividends or insurance claims. Perhaps the company was unable to contact the rightful owner of this CT unclaimed money. Maybe the person has already relocated to another state. At any case, if you suspect that you might be eligible to stake a claim at a particular property, then by all means begin conducting a search for the missing unclaimed funds.

You may begin your search by going through the state treasury website. Each state, including Connecticut, has a web page dedicated to the rules and processes governing to the search and claiming of abandoned funds. Type your name in various combinations when you start your search to make sure that you are able to assume all possibilities. This includes middle names and maiden names.

If this is not enough, there are state fairs where you could walk-in with your inquiries and the government accredited agencies may help you conduct a more thorough search for your property.

If you have already seen your name and the property that you may claim, download the form, fill it up and submit this together with the pertinent documents needed by the Division of Unclaimed property to facilitate your claims. Wait a while for this to be processed and follow it up so you may claim your CT unclaimed money in no time.

1 Comment

  1. Alisa danette Barnes says:

    My father opened a bank account in 1968 and lost the bank book. I’m not sure how to proceed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to content